Subject: [Leica] re clear plastic tape
From: Summicron1@aol.com
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 11:03:41 EDT

i second walt in denton -- if you bought your leica as an investment then, by
all means, do not scratch it up, but yare being somewhat dishonest, do you
not think, if you take such care of the outside and let the inside get worn
from use? I mean, a MINT camera with worn insides is not really honest, is t?

seriously, if you bought a leica you must have some idea of getting good
images out of it. It is impossible to do that if you are being SO very
careful that it never gets a ding or a dent. You are forever taking it in and
out of its padded case, putting on kid gloves to handle it, and so on. But,
the only way to really and truely get good performance from any tool is to
use it freely, let it get a few signs of age, let it become something you
spare no gray matter cells worrying about because you are concentrating
totally on the image, the photography, the result. Only by doing thyis will
you achieve what the Leica is capable of giving you.

If you do this, by the way, you will soon cease such foolish talk as "I want
to sell this some day." No, you will not. Why? It will be your perfect
camera, your baby, your treasure, a faithful and true friendworth no amount
of money to you and that will include the dents and dings.

such are my M3 and R3 anyway. As an investment, what else provides such
return?

If it is only money you want back, go buy a second body and stick it in the
safe deposit box without even opening the box. Be sure and tell your heirs
what it is or they'll sell it at the yard sale.

charles trentelman
ogden
utah

Replies: Reply from "Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com> (Re: [Leica] clear plastic tape (now "Just tools?"))