Subject: [Leica] Re:IIIf plus heliar 15
From: Summicron1@aol.com
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 11:16:09 EDT

In a message dated 10/13/01 1:08:31 AM,
owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us writes:

<< - - The camera: in general terms the camera works great also.
Save some film advance adjust should be needed 'cause the unexposed line
between frames is very very thin, I'd say not more than one millimeter. Or
is this normal ? I don't think so, but maybe it is. >>

Hey guy,

do NOT have your film advance adjusted. With very wide angle lenses on a
rangefinder it is normal to have the images on the film closer together, or
even touching.

This is because the lens is NOT, as on a reflex camera, a reverse ocular type
lens wihich is designed to be far away to avoid a mirror, but a much simpler
lens that is just closer to the film. The rear element sticks back into the
body of the camera (no mirror to avoid) and the light from it, thus, goes at
a sharper angle to the outside edges of the frame of the film. This means it
actually angles under the edge of the focal frame of the camera, making a
slightly larger image on the film.

put a 50 mm lens on your camera and you will see the frame spacing is normal.
Put a tele lens on, the spaces may be just a titch wider.

When I started using a 21mm lens on my M3 I wondered the same thing. Even
wrote to Leica and asked if this was normal. It is.

charles trentelman
ogden