Subject: Re: [Leica] Wedding Pictures with Noctilux and 75 lux
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 19:40:08 -0400

Jerry, I'm going to be mean...but you did, presumably, post these images for
comment.

I have stared and stared at the image of the young man lighting the candle and
cannot for the life of me tell what this is a photo of...I think I see a hand
on the left hand side, probably lighting a candle, but I don't see a face,
head, body, or anything else - just candles and an enormous amount of
out-of-focus material on the left hand side.

And the shot of the bride is simply a shot of somebody from behind...no
pastor, no sense of what the bride is doing, or really where she is.

I fear that both these images are examples of the 'you had to be there' school
of photography, in which the photographer believes that because he witnessed
something happening, the viewer of the photo will see that same thing, even
though it isn't visible in the photo.

Maybe I am really missing something here, in which case I apologize for my
vision problems - but I don't think I am.

B. D.