Subject: RE: [Leica] Piezo printing
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 17:04:57 -0400

> >Don't you get very visible dots using the Epson driver?
>
> No!
> No dots.
> The 1270 and even more so the 1280 printers make much smaller inkdrops
> than the older designs.

It's not the droplet size that is the problem, it's the halftone dot size
associated with using the Epson driver.  It's a very coase dither pattern...

> Printing grayscale using the black ink only will look a little gritty.

Er, yes, that's what I was really talking about.

> Putting all six colors together just makes a great looking print.
> Looks continuous tone.

I see what you are doing now...  It really looks pretty good, huh?

Do you scan in RGB and just leave the image in RGB and tone it from there?
Funny thing...most EVERY scanner actually does B&W scans IN RGB!  It's all
they can do!

I only know of one scanner that scans B&W with a single channel
unfortunately...  Problem with RGB is, the R channel is really fuzzy on CCD
scanners, as well as the blue is somewhat too...so you don't get near as
sharp B&W scans from scanning in RGB.

I also believe the tonality isn't as "good" (obviously subjective) as using
a single ND filter for the scan...that's opinion, from looking at resultant
outputs from the same negatives...