Subject: RE: [Leica] Piezo printing
From: Henry Ambrose <henryambrose@home.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 16:22:46 -0500

Austin wrote quoting me:
>> Putting all six colors together just makes a great looking print.
>> Looks continuous tone.
>
>I see what you are doing now...  It really looks pretty good, huh?
Yes. Looks great & wonderful. If you know the CMYK prepress world think
in terms of a great looking 4 color black vs. only black ink. They are
both black but the 4 color will be richer. This is where the
wonderfulness of Epson blacks comes from in part - I think.

>Do you scan in RGB and just leave the image in RGB and tone it from there?
>Funny thing...most EVERY scanner actually does B&W scans IN RGB!  It's all
>they can do!
No I scan in grayscale. Work on the file then convert to RGB at the very
end. This speeds things up since the file is smaller while I'm messing
with it. See my earlier post today about how to do this.

>I only know of one scanner that scans B&W with a single channel
>unfortunately...  Problem with RGB is, the R channel is really fuzzy on CCD
>scanners, as well as the blue is somewhat too...so you don't get near as
>sharp B&W scans from scanning in RGB.
Some use the green channel only, some like the Leaf uses ND.
Does not really matter. Grayscale is faster if only for less info to be
moved about.

>I also believe the tonality isn't as "good" (obviously subjective) as using
>a single ND filter for the scan...that's opinion, from looking at resultant
>outputs from the same negatives...
Nawwww.
But with some lame scanners scanning RGB then converting back to
grayscale can help with stubborn negs.

Henry