Subject: RE: [Leica] Piezo printing
From: "Austin Franklin" <darkroom@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 18:32:18 -0400

> >Do you scan in RGB and just leave the image in RGB and tone it
> from there?
> >Funny thing...most EVERY scanner actually does B&W scans IN RGB!
>  It's all
> >they can do!
> No I scan in grayscale.

You get grayscale from the scanner...it still scans in RGB, unless you have
a Leaf.

> >I only know of one scanner that scans B&W with a single channel
> >unfortunately...  Problem with RGB is, the R channel is really
> fuzzy on CCD
> >scanners, as well as the blue is somewhat too...so you don't get near as
> >sharp B&W scans from scanning in RGB.
> Some use the green channel only,

Who that you know of (for sure)?

> Does not really matter [whether you scan in RGB or ND].

I believe we disagree there.  Give me a negative you believe you have
scanned to perfection using an RGB only scanner, and I'll scan it on the
Leaf and you will se a marked difference.

> >I also believe the tonality isn't as "good" (obviously
> subjective) as using
> >a single ND filter for the scan...that's opinion, from looking
> at resultant
> >outputs from the same negatives...
> Nawwww.

Well...yeah!

> But with some lame scanners scanning RGB then converting back to
> grayscale can help with stubborn negs.

But they ALL scan in RGB (except the Leaf as far as I know) then convert to
grayscale in the scanner.  Are you suggesting that because you can do the
conversion better in PS that what is done in the scanner?  What would be
"stubborn" in a negative that would "necessitate" that?