Subject: Re: [Leica] Keeping XTOL
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:19:32 +0200

OK, I was not aware of this, my apologies to Glazer's. I wonder if this
applies worldwide. It seems that Kodak markets some chemicals in small sizes
only in some markets. For example, I have not been able to find Kodak Hypo
Clear in 1-liter packages anywhere in Europe. They only come in 5-liter
packages over here, which is annoying for a low-volume user like me given
that the stock solution only keeps for 3 months. So I stock up on the
1-liter size when I visit the U.S.

Anyway, if XTOL in small sizes is gone, then I just standardize on Ilfotec
DD-X. At least Ilford's commitment to B&W seems to be strong and consistent.
And then there are small manufacturers who, amazingly enough, are brave
enough to bring new products to market, such as the German Maco films.

Nathan