Subject: Re: [Leica] a new (on)topic, or the conceit
From: Charles Harris <charles@charlesharris.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:06:49 -0500

> "I take better pictures with a Leica rangefinder than with an SLR because...
the barrier is removed. With the rangefinder, I'm not as concerned with
critical framing. I'm not as concerned with depth of field. I'm not as
concerned with focus. I'm not as concerned with the mechanics of
photography. With the rangefinder, I'm concerned about what's within the
frame. More specifically, I'm concerned with the relationship of elements
within the frame. I'm concerned with spacial relations. I'm concerned with
interpersonal relations. I don't need the camera to make such observations.
I don't move the camera to recompose, I simply move. The camera is a very
small part of the equation. However, as the opening line infers, it has
become the most important part of the equation, but I don't recognize it as
such. I think that's why I take better pictures with the Leica rangefinder.

I recently got my web site up and announced it here. Thanks for all the kind
words both privately and here on the LUG. It's impossible to respond to
everybody as I've gotten over 100 replies!! Not all from the LUG of course.
The praise was overwhelming and somewhat embarrassing. Thank you.

Speaking of which, there are approx 130 images on the site, nearly half of
which were taken with the Leica. Can you spot them? I'll give my Leicas (or
possibly a jpeg of them) to the first to correctly identify them all. Bonus
lenses to those who can identify the lens as well. Start your engines.....

charles
http://www.charlesharris.com/