Subject: Re: [Leica] Perhaps a new (on)topic, or the conceit
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 08:18:28 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)

> > "I take better pictures with a Leica rangefinder than with an SLR
> because...

I had an interesting discussion with a Leica Rep (Howard Cornelson) in
Houston 20+ years ago....similar to this question....

All things being equal, many people WILL take better photos with a Leica
than other cameras...and no, this has NOTHING to do with lens quality or
focussing accuracy....it's a subjective thing....one feels almost an
obligation to the camera to exploit its virtues!!!

Also, if one identifies with the photographic "greats" because they used
Leica (we all do this sometimes) then one will tend to try to "equal" the
work that they admire!!!

I play guitar better on a fine, vintage amp than on a cheap solid state
junker....it's real, not imagined....but it has NOTHING to do with the
notes....it's a very real "relationship" with the gear that inspires one
to do well....JUST LIKE LEICA.

I also enjoy using fine tools, even around the house...also, I enjoy music (stereo)
much more when listening to my near-audiophile quality homebrew tube gear than
do when listening to mass-market A/V gear....which has better specs and probably
cost 10 times as much...in this case it's pride of ownership AND design/construction.
As a ham radio operator, I enjoy using my chrome plated-jewelled bearing mechanical
telegraph key more than lesser device...and YES< I ALSO send better on it!!!

As a technician (audio and photo) many years ago, I noticed that owners of
finer gear generally take better care of it than lesser equipment...even
"HARD" pro users will take a tiny bit more care with the Leica than their
"disposable" SLRs....(don't we all consider them a necessary evil but don't
REALLY care about them?)......and no, I've never owned an ALPA :) :) :)

Interesting thread...what you all say?

Walt