Subject: Re: [Leica] M camera parts
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:57:03 -0500 (Central Daylight Time)

Jimbo, Hello from Texas
You can get replacement covering (not "vulcanite" ) from Leica.
(Dave Ellwell-201-767-5728 for parts)
The back door piece looks nice and is easy to install.
The body covering is like that on an M6...it looks nice on an otherwise
'beater' camera, but I wouldn't put it on a collectible.

As for parts count, it's ambiguous...for example, is the "top cover"
a part?  what about the little glass windows and the clips that hold them
in? are they parts?....is a double (stacked) gear that is swaged together
one part or two if the FACTORY made it of two parts but now it is sold as
ONE?....

Interesting questions, but it's more "salesman" talk than an accurate number.

Electronic cameras with the same features as an M6 would have FEWER parts...
BUT no company (Leica?) would build such a thing...
for example...no one asked
for TTL flash on M cameras--which have added problems (flash compatibility and
battery drain) that would have NEVER existed...WHEN there's an "electronic" M,
you can bet that it WILL NOT just replace the speeds escapement in an M6...
it would be an "M" shaped body LOADED with other useless shit.

I tell Leica friends "be careful what you ask for"....when the M6 came out,
the M4P was to be continued for "traditionalists"...that small percentage who
DO NOT want TTL metering (we "incident" metering lunatics)...a year or two later,
the M4P was dropped from the catalogue...it COULDN'T have cost them a dime more
to build a few dozen a year...it IS an M6 minus some junk.

PC electronics CAN be built to NEARLY 100% reliability...US government
contractors do it every day....I don't know how the camera folks compare, tho....
ANYTHING would have a longer MTBF than the Leica slow speed geartrain, on
average...for example, every NIKON geartrain from 1950 till 1980!...(the
escapement in Ms has serious, designed-in flaws)

Our Leicas are "pretty" reliable and VERY tough (different things).  I have hoped
for REAL improvements for years, but they will not come...SOMETHING else will--
something we DIDN'T ask for.
(Where is our mechanical, manual M camera from Konica?-Where's our "volksleica"
M from Cosina?...how 'bout FEWER different lenses from them at even lower prices?-why
bodies in different MOUNTS?>>>JEEZUS (I know, so the "collectors" can use their
junk 50s lenses on them)

Oh well, it's been interesting to watch.
Walt