Subject: Re: [Leica] Perhaps a new (on)topic, or the conceit
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 08:28:14 -0700

OK yous guys!...

An M is not going to take better pictures than an R? Why not?
In a lot of cases this is just a given; that it will.

A Leica M rangefinder camera focuses more accurately than an SLR up to around a
135 lens depending on your viewing magnification: 72, 58, 85. And whether you
are using the new magnifier thingy or not
http://www.leica-camera.com/produkte/msystem/m6ttl/zubehoer/lupe/index_e.html

Assuming the thing you are photographing looks better IN focus than not so much
in focus... than you'll get better shots with the M than the R. Am i being too
much of a realist?

I think the glass is more modern and better in this point in Leica's history
with the M then the R. The R has come catching up to do. IN some instances the
glass is equal. But as was just stated; the M will have an advantage over R in
wide angle lens design.
	By the way there is somthing in the air about internal focusing not being what
it is CRACKED UP to be. But that's another thread.
In those instances when better glass makes for a better picture; and i think few
instances don't. Then the M will be you choice because it has far better glass
then the R or any 35mm camera system BAR NONE. That fact is mainly why i am a
Leica shooter and a LHSA joiner and sitting here being a LUG involver.

AS the M is a rangefinder system there is no mirror bounce or blackout.
IN those instances where lack of noise or vibration makes for better pictures…
you will GET better pictures.
Look through your contact sheets or slide pages or trays and figure out which
shots those are not.
Also those instances when no mirror blackout keeps you in better touch with your
subject... you are not shooting like crazy because  you don't know weather the
BLINKED OR NOT!

By the way i just got my Viso going this week and I'm enamored with it.
My Viso can easily deal with my minimal (not sports) and less intensive long
tele needs better than any SLR separate system. As i understand it the optics on
a quality per money basis is the best.
http://www.collectcamera.com/htmleicamain/visolens.htm

But on a coolness level indisputably rules.

Mark Rabiner
although the APO-TELYT-R Modul-System system for the R is pretty darn cool.
http://www.wallstreetcamera.com/leica/leica/slr/rlenses/rlens.html

Portland, Oregon
USA

http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/