Subject: Re: [Leica] Hello, a newbie, and a question
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 08:47:57 -0700

Gabe Bandy wrote:

> Hello everyone - been reading and learning from the LUG for a bit over a
> year now - a fascinating group and constantly enjoyable reading to say the
> least. I'd like to introduce myself and hopefully become a more active
> member, and ask a question. I hope I can contribute a bit. I am a fairly new
> Leicaphile (3  years) after wandering in the Nikon/Canon/Contax/Olympus
> woods for 25 years or so. For most of that time (I can see it now doctor!) I
> was a hardware junkie rather than a photographer, but somehow all that
> shooting must have rubbed some knowledge off on me and I find that I've
> become pretty good. I've met a few LUG ers here in L.A. and have a Leica
> mentor in Nigel (www.mrleica.com) newly of the Beverly Hills Camera Centre
> (great Leica shop, gathering place, great advice). I'm now looking for some
> recommendations please. I'm heading off to Yosemite this weekend for a few
> days, and have suddenly decided to switch from my normal high speed
> 400/800/1600 Fuji color and b&w print films to re-discover the qualities of
> chrome. I am VERY used to everything 400 - have been shooting TX for most of
> my life and love Neopan 1600. I usually shoot indoor shadows, reflections
> and nooks n' crannies - so going to bright sunshine for a few days will let
> me use something a bit slower (not Velvia please - too slow). I'd like to
> shoot at 1/1000 or 1/500 @ f5.6-f8. since I also despise tripods, and my
> general lens will be the 28-35-50 f4. I'm also taking the 15mm and 25mm
> Voigtlanders and an older 90 "thin" Elmar with a fast 50 for the dusk shots.
> For the first time I'll have no SLR on a trip. The preceding statement would
> lead me to an ISO 100-200 film(?) I guess. I'm looking for well saturated
> colors but the ability to take an outdoor portrait or two, but not quite the
> Velvia punch. For B&W I usually have a yellow or red filter in place, but
> try to use nothing worse than a UV for color. Been reading about the new
> Provia films both 100 and 400 and would LOVE to believe that the 400 is as
> grainfree, sharp and saturated as the 100. Any experiences please, and if
> yes what lab  - Fuji or independent? I greatly welcome recommendations and
> experiences from the group on any good chrome films and thanks to all.
> Cheers
> Gabe Bandy
> "No deposit no return"
>
> --

Welcome to the LUG Gabe!
two other things

I think when you post something which has 8 topics or threads or questions in
them people get overwhelmed and cant figure out which one to respond to.
	(And to spit hairs I'd try paragraphs but forget i said that.)

Are you about to figure out a way to upload the stuff you are doing onto some
kind of site? I'm sure we'd LOVE to see all this stuff you are up to!

It's so good to get people who are so excited about their shooting.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA

http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/