Subject: [Leica] A Leica DG 1
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 12:14:09 EDT

In a message dated 10/18/01 12:14:01 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us writes:

> A digital "M" would surely come from that same mind-set. No "built-in" sepia
>  toning and stuff, no "on board" DSP. No zillion exposure modes. No changes
>  in the focusing mechanism. Just a shift in sensor and the ability to slot
in
>  a memory card or (as important) a microdrive and a way to look at the image
>  you've recorded and a FireWire connector to get data out of the camera.
A Leica digital wouldn't be an M6. It would be a DG 1; that is, a manual
digital in which film would be replaced by a 24x36 pixel element array. It
wouldn't be AF, would use standard Leica lenses. It would have a high
resolution screen on the back, and would be housed in a metal body. And it
would recycle instantly. As fast as film is handled in the M6.

Of course, that would be my idea of a true digital Leica. Which I would use
seldom, I might add. Without a negative, it isn't true photography as far as
I'm concerned. Film is the RESET button of photography. Digital can never
have such a function. Burning an image into a CD isn't equivalent to a
negative because the inevitable artifacts of the digital process must
inherently intrude. A digital image is always too good to be true. And the
public will understand that caveat.

br