Subject: Re: [Leica] Old Prices
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 13:05:53 -0700

Marshall Hunt wrote:

> In 1955 I was working as a hospital orderly for $3,000 per
> year.  Dowlings would sell a M3 with 50/2 Summicron for
> $447.  A Contax IIA with 50/2 Sonnar was $345. Your
> Leicameter was $30.   A Canon IVS2 with 50/1.8 Serenar was
> $284 from Peerless, and a Nikon about the same. AND a copy
> of Popular Photography, with Elsa Martinelli on the cover,
> was $0.35!

Last month i bought a copy of the 1955 Popular Photograhy annual for 10 bucks.
It was the year my wife was born.
It cost one dollar on the newsstand at the time.
On the cover is a Peter Gowland nude of an unnamed female model.
Those days the models were less famous than the photographers to the extent that
they were unnamed and no one cared.
The "it" girl! Taken with a Marvel View 5x7 1/25th of a second at F11 two
Heiland Strobonar IV's with two extensions, (total 4 lights).Film: Daylight Ektachrome.

Amazing my parents let me have those in the house at the time!. My first issue
was the 1966 when i was 14. With Senta Berger on the cover of it taken with a
180 Sonnar 2.8 lens on a Nikon F, 125th at 3.5 Ektachrome X natural light.

THEN they started putting the Gravure into the monthly issues!

"Pop" got me into photography. They get all the blame. Ziff Davis. John Durniak.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA

http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/