Subject: Re: [Leica] beer and Elcan, sacred cows, and all that jazz...
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 00:11:14 -0400

At 10:20 PM 10/18/01 -0400, Emanuel Löwi wrote:

>The Elcan stuff made for Leica M and related use was largely sub-standard.
The 50/2
>Elcan M lens is a cheap optic (in terms of construction and optical
performance - try
>it!) and the KE-7A is less than the equivalent M4. Midland cut corners on the
>military stuff. I am fully aware of what other items Elcan made (having
owned several
>90/1 and 66/2 lenses). But these and  the other Elcan lenses are little
known and
>hardly understood by 99.9% of Leica users and historians, so let us not
digress
>there. We are all, however, aware of the $300 hammers purchased by the
U.S. military.

Emanuel

Again, you really haven't a clue what you are speaking about.  The stuff
Midland has made 95% of their money on is the sort of aerial recon and
satellite optics which me and thee will NEVER see.  It is never surplused.
It is never sold in the civilian world.  It just is not available for you
or I to discuss.  You are basing your analysis on the entire output of the
factory on a VERY minor bit of its production.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!