Subject: Re: [Leica] beer and Elcan, sacred cows, and all that jazz...
From: Hans-Peter.Lammerich@t-online.de
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 11:16:35 +0200 (MEST)

As far as I recall the reference books the Elcan 2/50 was designed to
be inferior to the Summicron, because the customer wanted it to be
cheaper and did not need the Summicron's optical performance. Possibly
there were some cost cuttings on the body as well.

After all I don't have the greatest respect for military procurement
which is a bureaucratic exercise. It has to be, because the are
spending tax money. Determining specs, tendering and testing is time
consumung so that sometimes the equipment is outdated at the time of
purchase.

Specs are sky-high above comparable consumer grade products and the
military wants tomorrow's technology today in order to compete with the
enemy. But buying one super expensive up-to-date system blocks the
budget for years. So once the equipment is purchased, it must remain in
service for decades, long after civilian users have phased-out
comparable gear from that generation. Very unfortunately specs
emphasise durability and in the absence of war, there is only little
wear and tear or losses. Despite the policy to buy only the best and
latest, on average military equipment is older than in civilian
industry.

Hans-Peter