Subject: Re: [Leica] Czech Beer is OK--Belgian beer rules!
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 12:30:31 -0800

>I cannot let this important, albeit OT, thread pass by without throwing in my
>two rappen...The Czechs do make a decent pilsner, but if anyone wants to
>explore
>what real beer tastes like, there is only one country to head to: Belgium! I
>lived there for 5 years, and did extensive research during that time ;-) Here
>are some of my top choices, not ranked:
>
>Duvel
>Delirium Tremens
>Hoegarden Grand Cru
>Blanche de Namur (in summer only)
>Verboden Vrucht/Fruit Defendu
>
>and then the only real Trappist beers in the world:
>Westmalle
>Chimay
>Orval
>Westvleteren
>Rochefort
>La Trappe from Koningshoeven (this one is near Tilburg in the Netherlands, the
>only Trappist beer made outside Belgium)
>
>Nathan

Can we add to that list the venerable Kwak? A very nice, bitter brew that
is to be enjoyed in its own, oddly shaped glass, which kinda looks like a
large testube, ball-shaped at the bottom end and flaring out toward the lip
of the glass. A very fine beer, IMO. Not easy to find in L.A. (try Wine
Expo on Santa Monica Blvd and Berkeley), but worth the hunt. Chimay, on the
other hand, can be found in any decent spiritorium on the western edge of
the North American continent, usually in a variety of styles.

Guy

P.S. Did anyone every enjoy an Australian stout called Sheath (?) stout? A
mind (and stomach, if you drink too much of it) blower.