Subject: Re: [Leica] Neopan ACROS 100...
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 12:59:54 -0700

Henry Ambrose wrote:

> Mark R wrote:
> >As I'm going to try the Neopan 400 and so probably make the switch completely
> >away from Ilford Delta and to Fuji Neopan.
>
> I'm waiting for the 400 speed Acros - now that should be something!
> Don't much care for Neopan 400 though.
>
> For me the very best 35mm 400 B&W film is XP2, T400CN close second, then
> Delta 400. If you can live with the scratches that result from poor
> handling in minilabs, its hard if not impossible to beat the first 2
> films at 400. I've tried lots of different developer/film/technique
> combinations this year and can't equal XP2. Close but not quite. Of
> course the C41 negs won't last forever but boy they are good right now!
>
> I've only shot a little of Acros and find it to be a great film.
> I like that its got a little different spectral characteristics.
> Kind of a light yellow filter built in.
>
> What is it about Acros that Dante and Dan don't like?
> What's the story guys?
>
> Henry
> --

It's that their names begin with D. That's got to be it.

Ten years ago i was using lots of Neopan 1600 with my Nikons which was before
Leica or Xtol for me and was sold on it.

Then one day i shot some Neopan 400 and i felt like i was looking at 100 stuff.
TONS sharper.
So i had used it before. Now going to give it another shot. In Xtol for it not
to be great would amaze me.

XP2 looks so great i don't even want to hear about it. I just got back some
60x30's I'd done with my Hasselblad but not processed for a year.
Fast and grainless and seems sharp enough but not overly. The fading issue would
not be a big one with only one layer. No chance for color crossovers it seems to me.

Much of my ACROS shooting was with the Noctilux which puts a very different spin
on your results.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA