Subject: Re: [Leica] New R ASPH lens
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 13:26:40 -0700

Eddie Shih wrote:
>>And the other is really making me breathless. The wide-angle zoom lens we
have been waiting for : 21-35mm/f3.5-4 ASPH.<<<<<

Eddie old chap, please save your breath as any lens produced in these modern
times and doesn't start with 2.8 through out the zoom range is best referred
to as a "mickey mouse lens!"

And certainly being breathless is only in relation to the ridiculousness of
wasting time producing it in the first place!  Besides I bet it'll still
cost an arm, a leg and your wife to purchase when it's really only of use at
bright sun high noon time.

As far as a solid working lens in the caliber of many Leica fast lenses gone
before it manufactured for excellent use in the wonder world of existing
available light... at whatever level that maybe,  this "slow lens will
ultimately be of use at the beach and holiday time while shooting out doors.
On bright days!

You may also be breathless for a very long time before it arrives and even
then only have a few produced before they stop production much as they did
with what could've been a great lens, 28mm  -- 70mm 2.8!

For heaven sake one would consider they could at least hold an aperture of
3.5 between 21 and 35, surely that's not such a big deal in these days of
wonder manufacturing .

I do believe Canon have a 20--70 ? 2.8 that is producing excellent quality
film exposures. Certainly one would think the leading manufacturer of the
best glass in the world, Leica, could simply keep at least a 3.5 aperture
between 35 and 70. Aspheric or not!.

B.D. WROTE:

>>- Maybe it's the lens you've been waiting for, but unless one shoots
nothing but rocks and trees, or other subjects in daylight, a 3.5 to f 4
lens seems awfully slow<<

Hi B.D.
I'm with you all the way only I'd say, "Rocks, ferns, peeling paint and non
breathing things!" ;-)

And I'll bet the price will be sky high and limited to the few fortunates
with  income high enough to purchase.  It's too bad someone in the Black
Forest of elves can't get it through their collective heads that a simple
inexpensive lens will sell and make them profit, than the one that is
limited to "some of those" earning their keep as professionals or the good
fortunes of the economically unchallenged!

And as far as professionals purchasing, what is the point of buying a f 3.5
zoom to f4,   even with a not bad zoom range of 21-35,  when it can't even
hold 3.5? Hell a ton of my work is shot between f 1.0 and 3.5 so this lens
at 3.5 dropping to 4 is useless as a low light zoom.Out doors or indoors!

OK that's it! ;-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant