Subject: Re: [Leica] Washington DC
From: "John R. Fulton Jr." <JRFjr@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 07:03:23 -0500

Lots  of good tips already.
I'll add a couple of possibles.
If it's open (& it may not be on Sunday) Explorers Hall at National
Geographic Society, 17th & M streets, NW is always interesting.
Another note mentioned DuPont Circle. Interesting visually is (when
it was built) the longest escalator in the world goes from street
level down, down, down to the Metro. I have been in it when the sun
actually shines most of the way down the escalator.  As I said,
visually interesting.
Down the street from NatGeoSoc is the Mayflower Hotel. It's one of
Washington's old, grand hotels. Worth a walkthru. Washington is a
great walking city. There are lots of places to stop for coffee.
There are no buildings more than 13 (I think?) stories high so
there's usually lots of light. There are always lots of tourists so
it's fairly 'photographer friendly'. Oh, walk around the White House
and observe the security.  Very paranoid feeling (& that was BEFORE
9/11).
John Fulton
Fort Worth