Subject: Re: [Leica] Southwest Road Trip photo op advice?
From: "John R. Fulton Jr." <JRFjr@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 07:21:45 -0500

A few general suggestions.
In Amarillo check out the Cadillac Ranch just west of Amarillo.
That's the sculpture that Stanley Marsh had built. It's a bunch of
Cadillac automobiles half-buried.
For a real meal stop at the Big Texan in Amarillo. They'll give you a
72oz steak plus the entire meal for FREE if you can eat entire meal
in one hour. That's a 2-kilo steak!
In New Mexico consider a slight side trip north of Albuquerque to Los
Alamos. The Bradbury museum will tell you all you need to know about
Atomic Bombs, nuclear research and the good stuff that happens around
there. In western New Mexico spend time in Gallup. I'm pretty sure
there's a famous Robert Frank picture or two taken in Gallup. I'm not
sure if it's changed much. West of there is Navaho country. Not sure
what to tell you about there but it's interesting.
As you go from AZ to California be sure to stop in Needles. Another
odd stop. It's in a bit of a sink hole in the desert. It can be
extremely hot and muggy there. Lots of strange, huge insects. It
seems to be from another era, too.
Take the trip. It's a great way to see the American Southwest.
Best,
John Fulton
Fort Worth