Subject: RE: [Leica] To Buy or Not to Buy: a Leica 0
From: leica@davidmorton.org
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 20:49:21 +0100

bampolsk@csc.com wrote:

"On the one hand, I really love this camera; on the other hand, the chances
of
actually using it are slim to none (ok, maybe I'd run a couple of rolls
through for giggles just to see what Leica enthusiasts circa 1924 had to
deal with)."

Two points: the O series really *isn't* as hard to take pictures with as
some people say. OK I lost about 20% of my first roll, and 15% of my second,
but anyone who tells you it's not useable as a camera probably hasn't ever
tried to use one. It's just slower, you need to think a little more, take
more time, be less rushed. It does take lovely images.

However buying one not to use is silly. It's not an antique, it's a
*reproduction*, if you buy a repro Chippendale you buy it to *sit on* (or
put the crockery on, or whatever), you don't *collect* modern reproductions,
it doesn't make sense.

- --
David Morton
dmorton@journalist.co.uk

"There are only two services that images can offer the afflicted. One is to
find the story that expresses the truth of their affliction. The second is
to find the words that can give resonance, through the crust of external
circumstances, to the cry that is always inaudible: "Why am I being hurt?"
- -- Simone Weil