Subject: RE: [Leica] To Buy or Not to Buy: a Leica 0
From: "Wang, Albert" <Albert.Wang@ibx.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 12:54:23 -0400

> > >in sept pop photo, page 90 in their review of the null:
> > >
> > >"superb performance [ from the 50mm f/3.5 Leitz Anastigmat ] --
> > >  the second best 50mm lens we have ever tested (edged out only by
> > >  the 50mm f/1.4 Zeiss Planar) ... when used within its parameters,
> > >  this upgraded classic lens provides outstanding image quality."

First of all, that review was basically b.s. I couldn't trust those lens
tests even if I was bagged and gagged by a gaggle of geese.

> How truly sick is it that Leica would produce what would then be its
> best 50 ever for something like the O, rather than produce such a lens
> for the M and/or R, where it could be of real use to photographers
> rather than collectors....oh, never mind. ;-)

That's definitely not true. I doubt that the fewer lens elements in the O
series cameras can deliver sharper photographs than the Leica M6 or R8
seriously on any given day. In my opinion, the Leica O-series camera for me
is just another expensive toy but I doubt many photojournalists would be
using it all that much.

A truly sick joke which i don't buy for a moment BD, Peter and all.
Why would not the new collapsible Elmar be that kind of gem?
	instead of a slight step down in quality because of less optical
elements.

Thanks, Mark :) You're definitely right on... of course, I doubt that the
collapsible Elmar is much better than the Summicron I've always enjoyed. I
think that the Leica O Series is better than the original version but
certainly doesn't replace the Leica M6 or R8 by far.

Now the question is whether the Leica O camera is durable. I'm pretty sure
that a horse could run over it and turn it into mush. At least the R8 is
hard to break. Especially the one in titanium.

Alfie

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This E-Mail is intended only for the use of the
that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable
law.

If you have received this communication in error, please do not distribute
it.  Please notify the sender by E-Mail at the address shown and delete the
original message.  Thank you for your compliance.