Subject: Re: [Leica] Aperture....
From: Austin Burbridge <sprezzatura@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 18:28:38 -0700

Dear Steve, Before you respond to the pitch, go to a
bookstore/newsstand and have a look at a current number.

Long ago, under Minor White's stewardship, Aperture built a mighty
reputation as the top top-drawer periodical devoted to 'fine art
photography'. Until recently that reputation was well-deserved.

Aperture used to be in the vanguard of photography. Now its contents
are tediously stale, while it gives off the acrid aroma of
desparation, as it tries -- too hard -- to be fashionable, and ends
up smarmy, and dull.

I let my (expensive) subscription lapse after Aperture No. 156, which
featured a fawning, obsequious publicity-puff called "An interview
with" the pop-music entertainer, Madonna. The issue's theme,
"Male/Female" would have been au courant in 1973, and only sophmoric
in 1982; but at the date of its publication -- 1999 -- is was, and
remains, jejeune.

Recently Aperture has 'relaunched' and, in a bid to increase
circulation, has turned itself into something very ordinary indeed.
If you like what you see in the new Aperture, you should look at its
competitors, Blind Spot, and Double Take, which have defined the
market for which it now competes.

Now, Aperture is just one magazine among others, not the unique and
excellent bellweather it once was.

Hope this helps,

A U S T I N .

http://sprezzatura.net -- Creative inspiration with a twist