Subject: [Leica] mail irradiation affects film
From: "r g" <photos@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 18:46:33 -0400

There is all this talk about irradiating mail to kill bacteria.  I don't
think they are going to ask our permission before they do this, it will just
happen. Which has me wondering about all of us who send back our film to the
manufacturers for processing, and those that buy film mail order? Have the
photo companies come up with anything public on this issue? Irradiation even
at low levels affects film. The amount of irradiation to kill Salmonella,
for example, is 7 million times more radiation than in a single chest x-ray.
(source:CDC). Makers of the machines admit that it will expose film
("There's no doubt it would expose film", Williams Corp).

I'd hate to get back a box of white slides. Anyone else is concerned about
this?

Replies: Reply from "Horacio Sofi" <morggan@speakeasy.org> (Re: [Leica] mail irradiation affects film)
Reply from "Mike Durling" <durling@widomaker.com> (Re: [Leica] mail irradiation affects film)
Reply from "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] mail irradiation affects film)