Subject: [none]
From: "Simon Wong" <drsimonwong@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 00:35:05 +0000

Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 08:26:52 +0100
From: "Mark Pope" <mark.teampope@ntlworld.com>
Subject: [Leica] Advice on getting good results with Delta 3200
Dear all,

there is a candlelit vigil in our town centre this evening (it starts at
19:00 BST), to commemorate the events of 11/9 and also to protest about the
bombing of Afghanistan.  BTW, I am NOT wanting to start a flame war on the
rights or wrongs of what is going on - I just want to record it.

I plan to use my M6 with either the 35 f2 or 50 f2.  Since the only
available illumination will be candlelight and streetlamps, I figure that
I'm going to need a film like Delta 3200.

I reckon that the exposure will be around 1/30 - 1/60 at f2 (which makes me
more inclined to go with the 35mm).  This is based on a spotmeter reading
taken off a grey card which was illuminated by a single candle - it gave a
reading of about EV2 1/3 - EV 2/23.

Anyway, any advice on developers, dilutions, times and temperatures to get
good results would be appreciated.  I will probably rate the film at EI3200.

TIA

Regards

Mark Pope
Swindon, Wilts
UK

Mark,

This is a complilation of thoughts I've collected from various sources.

Simon

Compilation of Ilford Development Modifications

John Hicks/John’s Camera Shop
jbh@magicnet.net

Delta 3200

Kodak Xtol 1:1

12m/75F EI 1250               “real” speed, normal contrast.
15m/75F EI 1600-2000       slight push, but considered as “sweet spot”.
                                            gamma a little higher, about one
paper grade.

Kodak Xtol 1:2

17m/75F EI 1600-2000
20m/75F EI 3200                 edge of “high” quality .

Microphen

7m/75F     EI 1600-2000      works well and better overall but grainer than
Xtol.
9m30/75F EI 3200
13m/75F   EI 6400
18m/75F   EI 12800              last 2 speeds look pretty nasty.

Ilford DD-X 1:4

11m/75F EI 1600-2000         seems to tame contrast a little.

Avoid use of other developers if wanting “real” speed or slight pushing.
D 76, HC 110 will give “real” EI of 640-800.

HP5+

Microphen 1:1

8m15/75F EI 1000

Kodak Xtol

Manufacturer’s recommendation is a good starting point.

HP5+ pushed to EI 1250 in Microphen is better than D3200 at same EI, while
D3200 is better between 1600-2000.
HP5+ in DD-X 1:4 or Microphen has a “real” speed of EI 640. At 1600 (11/3
stop push) is finer grained and sharper than D3200 at EI 2000. The curve
shape of HP5+ is dead straight, lacking the pronounced shoulder of D3200 so
not wonderful in high contrast situations.

“Real” speeds for HP5+

D76, ID 11                              EI 400
Microphen, Xtol                      EI 640
Microdol X, Perceptol, D25    EI 125