Subject: RE: [Leica] mail irradiation affects film
From: "C.L.Zeni" <clzeni@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 08:33:43 -0500

At 08:05 AM 10/28/2001, you wrote:
>On Sat, 27 October 2001, leica@davidmorton.org wrote:
>

> > If the postal services around the world start irradiating mail to ensure
> > that their workers, customers and equipment aren't exposed to dangerous
> > material, then I shall be *ASTONISHED* if the likes of DHL, FedEx and UPS
> > don't do the same thing.
> >

>One difference between the US Postal Sevice and commercial carriers like
>the above is the sender's anonimity using the Postal Service.  At least
>the commercial carriers have a clue who has sent each package.

Think for a minute, gentlemen.  This all smacks of pure hysteria (my major
grumble about the media with all their over-the-top coverage but I digress).

If DHL/Fedex et al go to irradiation, the next logical step would then be
'regular' freight carriers, eg, trucking companies.

And if that happens, how will film be delivered to stores?  Are we all to
be instantly driven to digital?

No, I concur with Mr Herr who noted that Fedex etc have the 'advantage' of
no anonymity.  And do I really think that the USPS will be irradiating
mail?  I don't know - perhaps just regular mailbox mail, but not the
Priority stuff where a proper ID could easily be required at drop off at
the local post office.

But I am grateful to have a quality lab locally :)

- --
Craig Zeni - REPLY TO -->> clzeni at mindspring dot com
http://www.trainweb.org/zeniphotos/zenihome.html
http://www.mindspring.com/~clzeni/index.html

Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -- Groucho Marx