Subject: Re: [Leica]Lens speed complainers...
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 12:00:07 -0800

Félix López de Maturana wrote:

> "If the performance of the 17-35 Nikon at full aperture is
> good enough for you, and you can take the distortion, go for it."
>
> I did, succesfully. The perfection, which by other way does not exist, is
> plenty of limitations. If you can have a f1:2,8 wich allow you to take
> pictures otherwise you cannot why not to have it? The matter is that Carl
> Zeis, Leica and so on cannot reach their perfection in a kind of lenses as a
> 14mm f1:2,8, or a zoom like 16-35 f1:2,8. Carl Zeiss approached the aim with
> his 24-85 3,5-4 but they have not a camera with the same big class. I can
> use a M6 with ASPH lenses and a day after use a digital D30 from Canon. This
> morning I did in a portfolio of churches from my town. The D30 was used in
> 100 ASA for exteriors and at 800 ASA and Image Stabilization lenses in
> interiors. Very nice output. Never the quality of a Leica lens. Differents
> tools for different aims. Why not? I do not wish to say "this" and nothing
> more...
>
> Kind regards
>
> Félix

Yea Félix but what is an "aim"?! :) I say "Aim" HIGHER!! (choir sings)
I guess if "aims" = output and "digital output" does not sound like a demanding
aim... to fire stuff off to people by email or upload to a website who needs
hard-core glass and film?
If your making super A3's or even regular A3's the edge one gets from Leica M
Asph non zoom glass might just be apparent. I don't know for sure but i think it
just might be better than a (2160 X 1440) grabbed file from a digital camera!
and how unusual should a 16x20 print "aim" be if it turns out you'd been
clicking some real winners that morning? Can you go back and really shoot them?

The problem with photography is you don't have to be aiming very high to grab
your once in a lifetime image. When you've got that image you hope it was done
with the best film and glass you've got. It ends up being needed to be printed
all KINDS of sizes.

We know can sample down but you cannot sample up.
What if those shots of your local churches turned to to be really good?
And you want to make some nice big prints out of them for a show or for a collector?
Its your town so maybe they'd let you come back with a real camera.

Making small handy digital files from the interiors of those churches those are
snapshots that can never bee UN snapshotted. They just don't have the
information to be made into a quality image.

They insure that when your aims are low they stay low no matter what.

But if you shot 100 speed film on a tripod?
Or used a 28 Summicron Asph wide open hand held even or a 35 1.4 or Noctilux...?
You'd have a nice big file to make huge prints for museums with.
	OR snapshots to email to pals.

Mark Rabiner
	Department Of Redundancy Department

Portland, Oregon