Subject: Subject: RE: [Leica] 35 2.0 ASPH M or 35 1.4 ASPH M
From: Alexey Merz <alexey.merz@Dartmouth.EDU>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 18:05:37 -0500

On Tuesday, October 30, 2001, at 04:14  PM, Leica Users digest wrote:

> Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 06:55:54 -0800
> From: "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net>
>
> The weight of the lenses is essentially the same.    The ASPH 1.4
> is 250gm,
> the ASPH 2.0 is 255 gm...... according to Leica.

Leica's specs are significantly off base for the Summilux ASPH.
Mine (black) weighs 305.9 g, without caps or filters. The shade
weighs ~16 g extra. Still, it's a LOT smaller and lighter than my
AIS-Nikkor 35/2 was, and it significantly exceeds that already
competent lens in performance; at 1.4 the Leica lens is noticeably
better than the Nikkor is at 2.8. The only serious flaws in the
Summilux are its price and some light falloff (maybe 1/2 stop in
the extreme corners) when shot wide open.

As someone else said, this lens paired with the 75 'lux would be a
powerful combination indeed. Now: how am I gonna afford that damn
75??

Alexey Merz
Department of Biochemistry
Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover NH 03755-3844
alexey@webcom.com | alexey@dartmouth.edu
603-650-1702 | http://www.webcom.com/alexey/