Subject: Re: [Leica] the 90% rule-long, rambling BS from Walt
From: "Barney Quinn" <Barney.Quinn@noaa.gov>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 15:31:00 -0500

BD,

> I would suggest, and this is only a suggestion, that once one get to a
> certain level of camera, there is no "best," there is only 'best' for
> each individual photographer under each circumstance. Certainly there
> are tests that will tell you what is technically the 'best' lens at each
> focal length and f stop, according to the criteria of the particular
> tester

I think once you get to a certain level equipment also begins to make less and
less of a difference. In my other life I play the cello. I was a at a master class
given by Yo-Yo Ma once. ( A very tallented and nice fellow, IMHO.)  At one point
in the class he wanted to make a point, so he - with permission from the owner -
picked up the nearset cello, which happened to be a twenty two hundred dollar
wonder from a local shop. He played sanding up, holding the cello as you would an
acoustic base. Sounded just wonderful. Now, I wonder why that could be?

Barney

PS - If you want to get into the a price vs quality vs sanity curve gone totally
off the chart get into the world of stringed instruments. Some violins go for
(gasp) seven to ten million dollars! No, that wasn't a typo. A seven followed by
six zeros. Talk about worshiping your Leica and not using. If I owned one of those
babies it would never leave the vault!

Barney

Message from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] the 90% rule-long, rambling BS from Walt)