Subject: Re: [Leica] the 90% rule-long, rambling BS from Walt
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2001 14:31:58 -0500

Dragi, you can say anything you want to say. Say Leica is by far the
best camera in the world and that any photographer who is worth a rats
hindquarter uses one, if that makes you happier about the fact that you
use one. :-)

I would suggest, and this is only a suggestion, that once one get to a
certain level of camera, there is no "best," there is only 'best' for
each individual photographer under each circumstance. Certainly there
are tests that will tell you what is technically the 'best' lens at each
focal length and f stop, according to the criteria of the particular
tester. But suppose every Canon lens scores "best" at f 2.8, but I
always shoot at 2.5 or wider.(I am making this up, obviously) Then while
the Canon lenses are rated "best," they're worthless to me, and a lens
that doesn't score as well, but which I can shoot at f 1.4, is "the
best" for me.

There are some professional photographers who use Canon "amature" bodies
with the pro lenses, because those bodies are much lighter and easier to
handle than the "pro" body, and are so comparatively cheap that they
don't care if the body falls apart - they want the weight and handling
advantage. Go figure.

And as to Magnum, I am willing to bet that the overwhelming majority of
Magnum shooters do most of their professional 35 mm work with Nikons and
Canons - as do most of the world's working pros. That doesn't mean that
they don't all own Leicas and enjoy using them. (And I don't know
whether they do or don't ;-) ) But it does mean that most use something
else for "bringing home the bacon."

Does that mean that Leica isn't the best? NO. It only means that for one
reason or another these photographers use something else.

B. D.