Subject: [Leica] Re: Scanning suggestions
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 22:09:47 -0800

From: Nathan Wajsman
> Scan at the highest resolution and save as uncompressed TIFF file. This is
> your archive.
I attended Galen Rowell's digital workshop three or four months ago. The
suggested workflow there was to spot your raw scan, then make any changes in
adjustment layers only. Save that file as a Photoshop (.psd) and delete the
tiff. The "Background" layer of your psd file is your archive. Do any work
on the file in its originally scanned dimensions. Only when you're ready to
print, flatten the layers, size for output to the printer (240 dpi works
well on my Epson 1200, slightly less for the LightJet 5000), and do
sharpening as the very last step. You can keep your sized, print-ready copy
if you want or just resize and sharpen your archival psd file when needed.
Just don't mess with the background layer. I often keep the resized images,
since I forget to record how I sharpened them, altho that could be easily
kept in the "File Info" section of your archival copy.

If it works for Galen, who am I to argue?

Regards,
Gary Todoroff
Tree LUGger

Message from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] Scanning suggestions)