Subject: Re: digital, was: Re: [Leica] Piezo Plunge
From: David Rodgers <drodgers@swiftnet.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 09:29:57 -0800

George,

One reason I've shied away from buying a digital camera is that I don't
want to get stretched any thinner than I am. Heck I still struggle with
whether to load slide or neg film. All I need is one more option. Sometimes
too many options is a curse, as in "Jack of all mediums and techniques, but
master of none"!

If  Piezo printing is all that people say it is, I know I'll abandon my
darkroom. Mentally, it's too difficult (for me at least) to stay on top of
both. OTOH, if I don't like Peizo, I'll sell it to someone who does and go
back to hovering over trays.

I'm not ready to give up on film! At least not yet. Film is versatile and
archival. Just not as "immediate" as digital capture. We seem to be living
in a time/culture of immediacy. Is immediacy something we really need, or
is it something industry is telling us we need?

I've heard all the hype  about digital -- quality, speed, economy. Being
able to see your image right then has some appeal. But isn't that merely a
crutch? If its a static subject, you out to be able to get it right on
film. If it's dynamic and you miss the shot, finding out now or later
doesn't really matter. Better to spend time shooting than reviewing on the
spot.

For lots of reasons you hear the pros, but not necessarily the cons. And
speaking to photographers who use digital cameras there is a downside.
Admittedly, there are times when digital capture makes sense. Just not in
my arena. Leica style photography is still film style photography, IMHO.
But if digital prints from film can look as good as chemical prints, then
I'm for digital printing.

Dave