Subject: [Leica] Piezo Plunge
From: David Rodgers <drodgers@swiftnet.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2001 15:04:38 -0800

I picked up an Epson 3000 yesterday. I plan to get the Piezo software and
inks from Inkjet Mall. I've been hearing raves for a long time. The recent
LUG posts on the subject put me over the top. I found an open box 3000
without color inks and cheap. I couldn't pass it up.

Most of my scanning to this point has been for on-line images and printing
color on an Epson 1200. I have a couple of questions. First, what's a
reasonable print size to expect from Leica negs (or any 35 for that matter)
and Piezo inks and driver? I know this is an open ended question with lots
of variables. But is there a big difference between 4000 dpi scans vs 2700
dpi scans. I have an LS-30 and wonder if I need to go with a Super Coolscan
4000. Do factors like grain, tonality, etc. still give 100 speed film an
advantage over 400 speed films,  or does it get lost in the digital process.

I'm still lamenting the fact that I didn't buy the open box Polaroid 120
scanner at CameraWorld of O's annual warehouse sale yesterday. I looked at
it and thought, "wow, that's a deal". Then someone snatched it from in
front of me. Oddly nearly all the open box warehouse closeout stuff was
digital. Somewhere I think there's a lesson in that.

OTOH I seem to be getting deeper and deeper into digital. What's next, a
digital camera? Only if it's an M7!

Dave

Replies: Reply from David Rodgers <drodgers@swiftnet.com> (Re: digital, was: Re: [Leica] Piezo Plunge)