Subject: [Leica] Digital stuff
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 16:04:29 -0800

I apologize to everyone for speaking out about the
semiconductor/sensor/digital photography field. You are all correct. I
don't know very much about it. You certainly know more than I therefore I
will bow out of the discussion.

I started to write a paper explaining where we are and where we are headed,
but it became obvious that no one is interested in hearing about the
technology and where it is headed (and why) so I shelved it. Just as well
as I have real work to do.

Maybe another day.

Just for the record, I write the firmware that goes inside digital imaging
instruments. Cameras, phones, PDA's, mice, etc. My firmware controls the
imaging chip(s) and associated sensor(s). My colleague in the next cubicle
(Dan Simms) writes algorithms that do all of the outside work.
Interpolation, color space conversion, sharpening, attempted noise
cancellation, etc... He makes a silk purse (your final JPEG digital file)
from a sow's ear (the raw pixels streaming in from my stuff.)

Since we cannot make pixels any smaller, another technology has to come
forth. Hummm... maybe a marriage of two technologies.

http://www.asf.com/products/pic/

Jim Brick
Senior Scientist
Agilent Technologies