Subject: [Leica] digital
From: John Pakington <johnnie@bbpr.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 09:14:53 -0000

'Leicas are thought to be expensive. But I've looked at digital camera
bodies costing $5K or more. Considering that they'll be relatively obsolete
in 24-36 months, that could be expensive!  I don't know how many
photographers are set up to get a high enough ROI to justify that type of
expenditure. A few, I suppose. Digital is handy for certain types of
photography.'

I was lucky enough to get an job that required digital (pics had to be wired
to regional press immediately after every shoot) and that paid enough for it
to be worthwhile buying a D1, G3 laptop, SB28DX flash and 17-35mm Nikkor.
The fact that there are new D1 variants out there is an irrelevence, I will
use this camera until it falls apart and then will replace it with a newer
model if the price/spec combination is right. Digital wasn't just handy, it
was a necessity. Incidentally, a mate of mine who strings for one of the
largest selling British Sunday papers was told that they would no longer pay
film and processing costs. I love my M6 and IIIg but when speed is an issue,
they get left at home

Johnnie

Johnnie Pakington
Camden