Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital/polaroid
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 22:48:35 -0800

At 6:36 PM -0500 11/6/01, Teresa299@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 11/6/01 1:09:21 PM, ARTHURWG@aol.com writes:
>
>>David, how will you store the Polaroid stuff? Freeze it? Arthur
>

>All my polaroid film says explicitly NOT to freeze it.  This is unfortunate
>because my fridge accidentally moved from "not so cool" to "nearly frozen"
>and thus I froze a bunch of the stuff.
>
>I'm curious as to what freezing or near freezing does to it, as I plan on
>doing some polaroid transfers this weekend.
>
>Kim
>
>--

Light freezing might not be the end of it. The gel that contains the
active ingredients probably doesn't freeze/separate until it is
noticeably below freezing. Testing is in order.

The problem is that the chemicals that do the developing are in a
gel. You're not just freezing the film (and paper) which can stand
freezing, but you're freezing the developer/fixer in solution. When
you freeze stuff like this, different components freeze at different
temperatures and separate, and then the ingredients after thawing
either are separate from the those they should be intermingled with,
or are no longer in solution.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design