Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: digital
From: Feliciano di Giorgio <feli@d2.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 18:50:40 -0800

Eric wrote:

> Good thing that Robert Cappa shot his Omaha Beach images on film so that
> future generations wouldn't miss out on any of his shots!  :)

Didn't most of them get fried when his assistant developed them?
Can you imagine the look on Robert's face?

> If the Lewinsky shot were properly archived, it would still exist even if it
> had been digital.  If the film were tossed into the trash, would you say
> that's a reason against film?  Sloppy practices shouldn't count for or
> against a specific process.

Yeah, but people get "delete happy" far easier on a computer than
holding on to a few extra slides.
;-)

> Properly washing and storing film so that it will last for hundreds of years
> isn't a trivial task.

True, but I would hope that a professional organization or someone who
takes this serious would do so. But I would bet that a negative of
average quality will out live most CD's or magnetic tape.

>If you properly archive and maintain digital files, they'll last forever, too.  Won't even >lose anything when you make copies of the original so you can store them in multiple >locations.
>
> Eric

True, but it can be difficult to do. We back up Terrabytes of image data
every year. Now we are facing the problem that some backups were made on
certain media, which either no longer exists, the hardware to read it is
either broken or no longer made, or the format has undergone some
changes over the past 10 years. We are always fighting the clock,
because the magnetic media deteriorates quicker and can be damaged by
magnetic fields etc., so we are constantly trying to stay ahead of this
ever building avalance. But least with digital you don't have generation
loss problem...

feli

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: digital)
Reply from David Rodgers <drodgers@swiftnet.com> ([Leica] Leica and peizography)