Subject: Re: [Leica] summarit 50/1.5
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 20:28:14 -0500

At 04:58 PM 11/9/01 -0800, Feliciano di Giorgio wrote:
>Speaking of various 50mm f1.5 designs, how does a 50mm/1.5 Zeiss Sonnar
>(opton/Jena T)
>stack up against a Nocton or Summicron/Summilux?

Well, for starters, you will not find a Zeiss-Opton (note the name,
please!) in LTM.  You will find the lens from Carl Zeiss Jena with T
coating, of course.

I presume by "Nocton" you mean "Nokton".  Against the real Voigtländer
Nokton, well, there is reason to believe that Zeiss Ikon would have chosen
the Nokton to be the normal lens on that lust of our lives, the
never-manufactured Contax IV -- THAT is how fine a lens it is.

The Cosina "Nokton" is probably a good lens but, heck, why spend $37.50 on
such when you can spend $1,800 or more on a REAL Voigtländer Nokton?  Let
your conscience be your guide!

Now, comparing the 1.5/5cm CZJ Sonnar T and the 1.4/50 Summilux, it is
close to a toss-up.  Adding multi-coating to the mix, we have the late
1.5/50 Jupiter-3, and here we find a lens mechanically more shaky than the
Summilux but, well, optically close.  And, at $100, that Jupiter-3 makes
even the Cosina lenses look sick.  Just make certain you get that return
privilege, SPS QC/QA being what it is!

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!