Subject: [Leica] The initial spark
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@netconnect.com.au>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 09:35:57 +1100

Like Mike Durling, I think it was watching my father's home movies,
and a desire to record the world around me. I found a Kodak "kit" in
our attic which consisted of fixer developer, a thermometer,
measuring beaker (in heavy glass) some paper, a small contact
printing frame, and all bundled in a yellow and black plastic case,
which doubled as the trays. Only 2 years ago at an auction, I found
an unused one of these and picked it up -- ah memories.

I tried to use this kit, but I suspect with no success, but it
planted the idea. Then as luck would have it, I was walking to
school, passing the home of another kid in my school. We walked
together, became friends, and he asked me if I would like to try
darkroom work in his neighbour's darkroom. I was hooked, and he is
jealous ;-)

Cheers