Subject: Re: [Leica] surprises and disappointment about art
From: Walter S Delesandri <walt@jove.acs.unt.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 13:27:41 -0600 (Central Standard Time)

> >items.
> > Perhaps this was ART.

> >then it simply HAS to be art--what else could it be?
> >Walt
>
> How about: bad photography?
Yes.
> I believe Walt's post was made in jest
Perhaps partly.

, though not all bad photograpy is art
>MOST< bad photography (technically) in MY department IS considered art, by the maker
and usually others around here.  If you "dwell" on technique, or even DISCUSS gear,
you're considered a 'geek' (so be it).  Needless to say, with these criteria,
there would be NO artists on the LUG.

 and not all art photography is bad.
Certainly not.  But with current attitudes in the arts, i.e., politics and PC
>>VASTLY<< outweighing any concerns of quality, I wouldn't care
to speculate about the future...if there in fact IS a future for wet photography
in OR out of the "arts"...

CHANGE OF TOPIC:
I've mentioned collecting (and using) vintage telegraph keys.  This is the
future I see in traditional photography (50+years)...there will be us (we?)
luddites, probably forever, using "archiac" processes, paying through the
ass for film (from third world countries, like today's vacuum tubes)....
Bear in mind that just 23 years ago I was selling G.E. Vacuum tubes by the
thousands and held a commercial radiotelegraph (!!!) license!!!--no way would
we have believed that "digital" would take over---EVER...

Walt