Subject: Re: [Leica] Responsiveness of M6 meter at f/1.4 to f/2
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 12:48:34 -0800

>Henning,
>
>So much for whiz bang metering systems. Suddenly the mercury vs
>silver battery issue in my SL doesn't seem quite as critical. :-)
>
>Then again, I had just as many critical exposure issues with Nxx as
>with my M6. When thing are really critical, I use a combination of
>meters and go with experience and judgement and snip tests. After
>all, meters are only human!
>
>Dave
>
>At 01:50 PM 11/15/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>>. Film can be off 1/3stop as well as processing, and these factors
>>are often greater than any metering discrepancy
>
>--

Yep. Experience and practice (and at times, bracketing) are the only
sure way to get things under control.

The silver/mercury thing is not the same, though, because using
uncompensated silver batteries in meters that depend on the flat
discharge of mercury batteries introduces a variable that you have no
way of controlling, or are able to know when or by how much it
occurs. So then your experience and standard methods don't help you,
and you are left in the dark, possibly literally. :-)

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com