Subject: Re: [Leica] STRAP SURVEY (prev Saturday "Pro Photo" Shopping)
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 08:46:01 -0800

>I can't believe that this is a thread, and that it's such a
>lonnnnnngggggg thread...however...

...and yet (see below)...

>About a week back I was in NYC and sitting - on a low window sill - in
>front of The Greek Kitchen at the corner of 58th and 10th Ave. waiting
>for an old friend with whom I was to have dinner. I was fiddling around
>with my M6, and a nicely dressed gent, whom I would guess was about 10
>years my senior, walked up to me, asked which model I was holding, and
>said, "have you seen a Canon VT?" and thrust his camera into my
>hand!:-)...A Canon VT in gorgeous shape, mounting an old collapsible
>Elmar...anyway...we got chatting, and he told me he had been a salesguy
>at Peerless in the 60's! (I wonder if I bought my first IIIc from him).
>I know, I know, what does this have to do with straps?....Well....he had
>a really neat strap on his Canon...black leather, a buckle on each side
>for adjustment, padded non-slip shoulder pad...a very retro looking
>strap...certainly not great quality leather, but what the
>heck....anyway, he said he had bought it at Oldens, at 32nd and
>Broadway...that they currently sell them, for less than $20, and he
>seems to think it has a pretty common brand name on it, like Vivitar
>maybe. Anyway, I haven't had a chanc to get there yet, but this
>particular strap is calling out to me as it is as close as I've seen to
>the straps I used in the 60s....

Whew! That's quite a narrative for a thread that was already unbelievably
too long!

>So much for straps....Why is it that a discussion about straps seems
>about as rediculous as a discussion about underpants? Perhaps because
>each protects delicate equipment,each is a utilitarian item we take for
>granted, and neither is really worth more than a moment's
>discussion....;-)
>
>B. D.

I'd like to point out that the only ones to comment on how ridiculous they
found the thread did so while contributing to it.

Odd the strange need to ridicule the interests of others, and comical the
apparent inability to not participate in discussions that one claims are of
little value.

This is a photography list, a "user's" list, and it seems perfectly normal
that folks are going to discuss
the nuts and bolts - and, yes, straps - of their gear.

What's so odd about that?

Guy

Message from Mike Quinn <mlquinn@san.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Saturday "Pro Photo" Shopping)
Message from "C.L.Zeni" <clzeni@mindspring.com> (Re: [Leica] STRAP SURVEY (prev Saturday "Pro Photo" Shopping))