Subject: Re: [Leica] Not a good week
From: David Rodgers <drodgers@swiftnet.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 09:47:03 -0800

David,

Last month I took part in a large portfolio review. I must have looked at a
thousand b/w prints. I'll probably get hammered for saying this, but I've
come to the conclusion that b/w film type isn't that important. At least
not as critical as I always made it out to be. Exposure,  development,
overall technique; those are important. But film type, not so much.

I think some films require more careful processing techniques than others.
But I'm not sure the benefits are there for me. I'm using Neopan 400 and
1600 and HP5+ in 135 and Verichrome Pan in 120. I shoot Delta 100 in 4x5,
only because I have ample supply.

I'm not saying there aren't differences in films,  particularly between
ISOs. Just that the differences are extremely minor within a speed range.
Most films these days are pretty darn good.

Dave