Subject: [Leica] Moving Images - 9/11
From: ternahan <ternahan@sonic.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 19:15:32 -0800

Yesterday I had the incredible experience of seeing part of the" Here Is New
York" show at UCBerkeley. This is the show that accepted and hung all
donated images of WTC, 9/11 and related images. They print them on an epson.
They are being sold for $25....all money goes to the Childrens Aid Society.
There are some stunning images! The prints are hung anonomously, but the
list of photogaphers is posted...Many big names are there. The web site has
all the images posted. The address is:

http://www.hereisnewyork.org

The best part of the day (hard to believe it could get any better) were the
slide show and talks and discussion. The photographers were Ed Keating from
the NY Times and Susan Watts from the Daily News. Ed uses an M-6 and Susan
D-1. Her car (and laptop) were buried and she had to run for her life.
Besides the horriffic images of the event unfolding, she covered  funerals
and other gatherings.
Ed managed to sneak in dressed as a construction worker on the second day..
His work includes a lot of night shots of the fireman and other workers, as
well as some incredible images from the surrounding areas...streets and
parks and graffiti and inside apartments.

No words can describe the power of these images. I was in the second row and
the screen was huge....we were immersed in the tragedy.
I came away a different person.

The discussion was very moving as well. (Very moving doesn't even come close
to the feeling). They each shared their "breakdown moments" and how they
managed to keep shooting. Their emotions, our emotions were/are still so
raw. The tears are starting again as I write this.
They talked about the ethics of taking photographs of people at their most
vulnerable...the differences between still photography and TV video...how
they came to be photo journalists and why they do what they do.
The experience was something I'll never forget.
I wish you all could have been there.

Go to the site and buy some prints. You won't regret it.

trish