Subject: Re: [Leica] Acros Development Time/Process
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 17:28:49 -0500

> Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 19:31:55 +0100
> From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Acros Development Time/Process
>
> Rolfe Tessem wrote:
>

>> This is not accurate.
>>
>> JOBO doesn't *recommend* no presoak with XTOL, they just say it is
>> unnecessary since Kodak did extensive testing in rotary processors prior
>> to XTOL's introduction and published the times without presoak.
>

> A direct quote from Jobo's web site
>
> http://www.jobo-usa.com/bulletins/xtol.htm
>
> PREWET:
>
>                        A prewet is NOT RECOMMENDED with Xtol Developer.

Yes, I saw this too and was confused by it and took the time to talk to
Jobo's support staff. They confirmed that the language on the web site
is misleading and all they meant to convey was that a prewet isn't
necessary, given the testing that Kodak had done. It will certainly do
no harm.

They also confirmed that there is no magic about the 5-minute prewet,
it's just the amount of prewet that tends to bring the rotary times up
to just about exactly what the inversion times are for a given
film/developer combination.

The importance for me is that I use a Jobo ATL-1000 which gives no
option to a 5-minute prewet -- it is built in to all the B&W programs.
So I just use the published times for inversion processing with Xtol and
get great results.

- --
Rolfe Tessem          |         Lucky Duck Productions, Inc.
rolfe@ldp.com         |         96 Morton Street
(212) 463-0029        |         New York, NY 10014