Subject: Re: [Leica] How soft?
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 14:45:48 EST

Hello Feliciano:

It may depend on the serial number of your DR. The later series, the ones
with the focussing ring grooves in the indented scallops rather than on the
raised grips, have different coating material. It is supposed to be both
better in terms of light transmission and harder. I'm not certain at what
serial number that started but believe it was in the 1,900,000 series and
later.

I've had my DR (ser#211XXXX) since new in 1967. I haven't had to clean it
often, but on the occasions when it required, I have used Kodak lens tissue
and, less often, the Kodak lens cleaning fluid with the tissue. I've never
used any other tissue or cloth of any kind. My front and rear lens surfaces
still look like new.

If the lens becomes dirty, first use an air bulb to blow any loose schmutz
off. I don't like the aerosol cans as they direct a very strong blast of
compressed air that might lodge foreign specks in places it oughtn't be.
Then, unless there is clearly foreign matter clinging to the surface, I
breathe on the lens to put light moisture on it and gently rub it clean with
lens tissue, starting in the center and working toward the perimeter in a
circular motion. If more needed, do not put cleaning fluid directly on the
lens - it will flow to the edges and make the cleaning job very difficult.
Moisten the lens tissue with fluid and do the center to perimeter circular
bit.

If someone on-list has different experience with the early, softer coatings,
it may be useful to readers.

Best,   Seth    LaK 9

Replies: Reply from "David Kieltyka" <dkieltyka@csi.com> (Re: [Leica] How soft?)
Reply from Feliciano di Giorgio <feli@d2.com> (Re: [Leica] How soft?)