Subject: Re: [Leica] How soft?
From: "David Kieltyka" <dkieltyka@csi.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2001 20:57:44 -0500

Seth <SthRosner@aol.com> wrote:

> It [DR lens coating softness] may depend on the serial number of your
> DR. The later series, the ones with the focusing ring grooves in the
> indented scallops rather than on the raised grips, have different coating
> material. It is supposed to be both better in terms of light transmission
> and harder. I'm not certain at what serial number that started but believe
> it was in the 1,900,000 series and later.
>
> I've had my DR (ser#211XXXX) since new in 1967. I haven't had to clean
> it often, but on the occasions when it required, I have used Kodak lens
> tissue and, less often, the Kodak lens cleaning fluid with the tissue.
I've
> never used any other tissue or cloth of any kind. My front and rear lens
> surfaces still look like new.

My DR is a mongrel. Later style body, earlier (#160xxxx) head. And it's
missing the red dot too...the horror! :-) Anyway, even though it presumably
has the earlier, softer coating the front element is in pristine condition.
I've cleaned it once in the 14 or so months I've owned it, and this was just
the "huff on the glass & wipe lightly with a microfibre cloth" method. I
take care of noticeable dust specks with a small, soft brush. I truly
suspect most problems with the early coatings are caused by overzealous
cleaning. Cleaning fluid and elbow grease are for serious schmutz. Otherwise
IMO they just aren't necessary.

- -Dave-