Subject: Re: [Leica] OT:Photo grad school.
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@markrabiner.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 20:08:06 -0800

"John R. Fulton Jr." wrote:

> The MFA is good for a couple of things. (I think.)
>
> 1) It's the most advanced degree you can get in studio art. Also,
> performance such as music.
> 2)  As such it is required if you wish to teach (photography, say) at
> a graduate level in a University's art program.
> 3)  As an "artist", your degrees are looked at in your curriculum
> vitae (resume). Along with one-man shows, group shows, and perhaps a
> BFA, the MFA is important.  Not to bring up a former topic, but it's
> an "art" world thing.
>
> None of this means doodley-squat in the freelance photography world,
> editorial world, or here in Leica world or much of anyplace else. But
> if you're in the "art" world or University "art" world it's almost
> essential.

Blurring the line between:
"the "art" world or University "art" world"
can't come to any good.

I've had shows in a few galleries.
They never asked me which diploma i had either or if.
They didn't care what my grade point average was.

All they cared about was would my photos work on their walls with their paying clientèle.
I'm trying to think of any famous artists or photographers with a degree from
somewhere that someone knows about. I sure can't.
Where did R or C Rauschenberg go to school? Does anybody know or care? Could
have dropped out of high school for all anybody cares.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.markrabiner.com

Message from "John R. Fulton Jr." <JRFjr@compuserve.com> (Re: [Leica] OT:Photo grad school.)