Subject: Re: [Leica] OT:Photo grad school.
From: "John R. Fulton Jr." <JRFjr@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 19:24:06 -0600

The MFA is good for a couple of things. (I think.)

1) It's the most advanced degree you can get in studio art. Also,
performance such as music.
2)  As such it is required if you wish to teach (photography, say) at
a graduate level in a University's art program.
3)  As an "artist", your degrees are looked at in your curriculum
vitae (resume). Along with one-man shows, group shows, and perhaps a
BFA, the MFA is important.  Not to bring up a former topic, but it's
an "art" world thing.

None of this means doodley-squat in the freelance photography world,
editorial world, or here in Leica world or much of anyplace else. But
if you're in the "art" world or University "art" world it's almost
essential.

It's also a chance to spend two years working intensely on your
studio art (photography) culminating in an MFA show (as opposed to a
thesis for other Master degrees).

My alma mater--Indiana University--use to have an excellent MFA
program.  It was run by an historically important photographer named
Henry Holmes Smith. Henry will probably make most of you run for
cover when I tell you that he made his pictures without a camera. He
swirled oil around in a negative carrier and printed that. But, he
was an excellent and challenging teacher.

BTW, I'm married to an MFA who got her's in sculpture at Texas
Christian University.

What can I say?

John Fulton
Fort Worth